Nearly every film Nicolas Winding Refn creates has a polarizing effect on its audience, I struggled through Valhalla Rising, I loved Drive and I found Only God Forgives really strange and a little disjointed. And I actually love that about Refn’s films because they are so art house and bonkers they are beautifully bizarre so hopefully The Neon Demon will be the same and judging by this trailer its going to be one of his weirdest yet!
What I like:
- Elle Fanning seems like such a sweet girl (well she is only 18 after all) but in The Neon Demon she will certainly shed that typecast playing self confessed “dangerous” model Jesse.
- The iconic NWR colour palette, his films are so vivid and beautifully shot and interestingly the reasoning behind the colouring of his films is that he is actually Colour Blind. He told IMDb in 2011 that “I’m colourblind, I can’t see mid-colours. That’s why all my films are very contrasted, if it were anything else I couldn’t see it.”. Well his films are stunning as a consequence.
- The world The Neon Demon is exploring is a weird one by default, the modelling industry fosters narcism and the importance of being beautiful and stick thin, so its natural that NWR would turn it into some psycho horror movie!
- This film feels like a technicolour Black Swan!! And I loved Black Sawn so much it’s arguably Natalie Portman’s best film, who knows this film could be a defining one for Elle Fanning.
- I’m confused, its just so weird and darkly beautiful but I like it!
- A little seal of approval that means The Neon Demon is more than likely going to be good is that it will be competing for the Palme d’Or award (the highest available) at this years Cannes Festival
What I Didn’t like:
- Ahem Keanu Reeves? Is he in this film?
I personally think The Neon Demon is going to be a visually stunning and crazy cinematic experience which is exactly what I want and expect from a Nicolas Winding Refn film, so I will be definitely seeing this film when it comes out.