Annihilation is the new science fiction thriller from acclaimed author and director Alex Garland who for me made the best film of 2015 which was, of course, Ex Machina, a wonderfully cerebral sci-fi spectacle focusing on Artificial Intelligence. This new project looks just as promising from this short moody teaser trailer that takes us into a very mysterious story.
What I liked:
- The cast – With performers a such as Natalie Portman, Oscar Isaac, Benedict Wong et al the acting is obviously going to be brilliant.
- That eery soundtrack – Music always helps set the mood in films so using a tense string-based piece of music to accompany the trailer makes the viewer feel utterly uneasy as the unusual imagery flashes up on the screen.
- It’s based on a book – Some of the best films ever made have their origins in novels and part of the reason why they are so good is that the source material is so rich. I am yet to read the eponymous book that Annihilation is based on but I kind of want to see the film first because I prefer cinematic surprises and I can read the book afterwards to fill in the gaps and compare them.
- The Cinematography – this film looks gorgeous, the colour palette is beautiful and rather vivid. Alex Garland may only have one film under his belt, but he sure knows what looks fantastic on screen.
- The mystery – What is the thing? Is it an alien?, What the hell has happened? This sort of trailer is perfect because it’s the very definition of Teaser! It poses questions but doesn’t answer any!
- Major Arrival & Ex Machina Vibes – it has the feeling of two of my favourite sci-fi films ever, how can this film go wrong!
I feel like I can’t wait for its release in 2018 so I may have to pick up the book and see what the story is all about!
Let me know in the comments section what you thought of the trailer, and while you are here check out my other Film blog posts.